Sunday 27 January 2013

Nintendo 3DS XL - Review

So I've had my blue 3DS XL for a couple of weeks now, and after fully checking out all the apps, functions, online store and a few games I really enjoy how the console keeps you entertained constantly. When I was looking at buying, I was curious and a bit worried about whether I would use the 3DS more than other gadgets, especially with my new tablet on the scene, but it does an amazing job with street pass and play coins, two functions that want you to name your 3DS and take it everywhere!

Street Pass is genius. Whenever you put the console on stand-by with the built in wireless turned on, you can take it with you wherever you go and connect with other people that also have a 3DS, sharing your mii (a cute little representation of yourself), your 'likes' and game information so you can unlock extras in certain games. Play coins are another smart feature of the 3DS that transform the console into a pedometer, turning every 100 steps into a coin that can be used in games (two of which already installed on the console itself).

Anyway, this is a review about the XL, and since the software hasn't changed there's no point going on about things you probably already know. Being the bigger model of the 3DS, it feels a load more solid and not as fragile as it's younger sibling. Two upgrades Nintendo made to the 3DS which I like, is the top screen snaps into place when opening to a certain angle, and the 3D slider clicking into place. The screens being bigger are definitely worth the extra £30, but one annoying thing is that all of the XL models do not come with a charger. I mean come on Nintendo, you're not making any more money on this, in fact your actually losing out on sales when chargers aren't in stock. Besides that being the only problem which I overcame, because my wife has her own 3DS and I can use her charger, I have no problem whatsoever with this lovely piece of equipment.

Should You Get A Nintendo 3DS XL?:
Yes you definitely should, if you can afford it of course. I picked this over a Vita and haven't looked back. With it's great exclusive games for all ages and play-styles, awesome graphics and the big 3D screen you can't go wrong. The only quarrel I have with Nintendo is the lack of charger, but was rewarded with a free full-game download of New Art Academy over the New Year.

My Rating:
9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment